Thursday, January 11, 2007

The new chair

Two years ago, had I been shopping for a new chair it would have been one of those big ol La-Z-Boy, extending foot rest, cup holder in one armrest, hidden storage area for remotes in the other, pleather, vibramassage, enormo-chairs. Like an RV in your living room. So how did I end up with this?


The difference is two years ago I was not decorating. The things I bought two years ago were stuffs I NEEDED to live in a temporary space (a temporary space I stayed in not too temporarily for nearly 5 years). Now in the era of This New Condo the stuffs have become pieces, and I don't just buy them I shop for them so they can be incorporated into the design scheme.

I've always liked things modern, clean, simple. I like the things I see in DWELL magazine. It's only been recently that I've had the means, actually the DESIRE to try and create a space like the one's I see in that mag.

So there is my slipper chair (new term I learned whilst looking for what I described as, "something with no arms, kinda low..."). It's from West Elm and was purchased with a gift certificate from my Mom!

This could get really long winded so I'll just say that I THOUGHT I had an idea of the colors I wanted to use in this room. That chair was intended to be the blue anchor piece for a blue/brown/tan color combo I'd planned on implementing in the living room. Here's the inspiration pillow:


The more I thought about it though the more I realized that I am seeing that EVERYWHERE. I actually did shop for a long time for a chair that would suit my blue/brown/tan needs... but every one I found was either too expensive or not exactly right.

When this chair presented itself to me I was initially hesitant because, there is already a lot of brown in the living room... couch, tables, floor... and this, while lighter, is still brown. Given the circumstances though (what with the GC and all) I think it's a perfect fit.


Now, imagine a large, circular red rug anchoring that grouping and above the couch a large, framed photo of red bricks. Reds I think are going to replace the blues I had initially been so keen on.

So there ya go... the new chair. It's pretty comfy too!

...and YES that is a poinsettia. I KNOW Christmas is over, but I just can't bring myself to throw it away. It's alive, ALIVE!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice chair - and your place is looking great!

Matt said...

Tres chic ... I like the colors you're using.

Nice poinsettia. Are those arms coming out of it?? ;)

Li'l Pony said...

very elegant!

Brandon Vejseli said...

OH! I love it! Great taste you have.

Paul said...

Great chair! This place is really developing a sense of style.