Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Workplace Kama Sutra...

...I'm in a new position at work.

For the first time in 8 years with this employer (over 9 years doing this kind of work) I am doing something different. New department, new title (still no office), new hours, new responsibilities. I was very good at what I did before and I know I'll be good at this job too.

As for what I'm doing exactly... it's a little hard to explain (isn't everyone's job nowadays?). My title is Associate Producer. Basically, I am responsible for the replays of two TV shows. After they air "live" I come up with a way to restructure them to replay later in the day, or in one case the next day. Taking out teases or tosses that don't work, adding in "holes" for breaks, making time for segments that didn't originally air but need to be included for the replays. It's a big video puzzle and I get to figure out how to make it all fit.

Today I have the second day jitters. Yesterday I was pretty cool because the first day of a new gig is pretty tame usually, right? Just fill out the paperwork, get introduced around, take a quick tour, watch someone else do the job. Get trained. Today I think I'm going to be much more involved in the actual process. The handholding ends on Friday so I want to be up to speed FAST. From training others I have learned that the fastest way to get people trained is to get them involved and using the equipment and processes they will be working with as quickly as possible. Less watching, more action right away. So I'm going to jump in as much as I can tonight. I did a little jumping in yesterday, but I need to step it up to a whole 'nutha level tonight.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Aren't things better the second time around? You'll get to fix all the "live" snafus.

- - -

Puppies? You want to be with all the puppies? What about the old dogs that won't learn new tricks?

Maddog said...

You'll do just fine in your new position. Especially since it's not live. How bad could it be?

Joe Jubinville said...

Sounds exciting - is this a hands-on process like editing? Hope they're shows that you enjoy working with.

Second-day jitters are good. Keeps the focus crisp.

CondoBlogger said...

Paul - true... but I'm just an "associate" so I don't so much fix mistakes as move the "real" producer's mistakes around.

Maddog - Thanks! Yeah. I have plenty of turnaround time too so the learning curve is nice and nearly level!

Joe - We're on to the fourth day jitters today, and I'm still "crisp."

My adventures said...

OMG!!! your mary richards!!! immediately go out to peachtree street and throw a beret up in the air while twirling!!! GO!!! what are you waiting for.... congrats on the promo...