Thursday, July 19, 2007

Be Kind to Your Fine Feathered Friends

A pair of small birds have established a nest in my parking garage.


See the little hole in the concrete beam... the red arrow is pointing at it... right there... that's their nest.

Here's a blurry closeup:


It's a great place for a nest... if you are a bird. Protected from the elements, away from predators... maybe the air quality in a parking deck isn't the greatest, but overall a high/dry/safe spot to hatch some eggs, or just chill.

NOT such a great place if your parking space is located directly beneath the nest. Like this:


My neighbor has the misfortune of having to share her parking space with the birds.

The thing I think is cool is that instead of calling building maintenance and having the nest removed my neighbors have simply taken to leaving a shopping bag on the back of their expensive SUV. Now when my neighbor's avian parking space mates have to relieve themselves (rather selfishly I might add) their droppings are caught by the bag, rather than the Lexus:


Isn't that sweet? I mean all it would take is a stepladder and a broom handle to evict these birdy squatters, but my neighbors are being all "live and let live" about the whole thing. If it were my car being constantly crapped on I can't say for sure I would be so empathetic. I think it takes a really special driver to be so proactive about the environment that we all share with local wildlife...


AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It all comes together.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Good for them!!!

My adventures said...

not sure i'd be so kind but alas, i hope i would if that ever happens to me... lol... or i'd park in handicapped, i've got the sticker... lol...

Mike said...

Good for them is right. I can't say that I would even have thought about the shopping bag solution.

And look at you, going all Perez Hilton on your blog.

kevin said...

Ahhh
I hope the birds are ok. The chicks would have fled the nest in a few weeks.

Well done on winning yet another prize. You are so lucky.

I hope you are having a great week in Atlanta.

Kev in NZ

Anonymous said...

lol.
good post.
I wasn't aware hybrids now run on bird poo.