Monday, July 2, 2007

I feel totally helpless...

...because of SICKO.

I want to do something as a result of seeing that movie yesterday. I want to DO SOMETHING... and that's a good thing.

A great quote from the film comes from a guy I THINK was a former British government type dude. He says (and I am paraphrasing) that the reason England has universal (free) health care for all it's citizens is because after WWII someone decided that if they could justify spending all that money on KILLING people during the war, then certainly they could spend just as much CURING people... and so their universal health care system was conceived and implemented. People in the theater actually applauded.

Anyway, the state of affairs in the US health care system as outlined by Moore in SICKO seems unmanageable now. It's too far gone. I feel completely helpless to do anything about it. I'm glad I saw the movie, but now I'm angry and frustrated.

Even more interesting to me was an insight into debt or the FEAR of debt and how debt makes us in a way, beholden to our employers. It made me realize that even the BEST employers use health care to keep us "in line."

I've made a pledge to myself to make some physical and financial changes in my personal life. That won't solve our health care dilemma but if I am successful I will be in a better position to deal with that adversity should I ever find myself without coverage and in need. I'm going to keep track of my progress or lack thereof in a new blog. Someday I may even make it public.

In the meantime, I'd like to recommend SICKO:



You should see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn´t have the time to watch sicko yet, but this video give me a taste of the movie.

Moore talks about Sicko