Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Happy "Talk Like a Pirate Day"

Personally I don't really get the whole "pirate" phenomenon. I like Captain Jack Sparrow well enough in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and Di Niro's Captain Shakespeare was a funny/campy turn in Stardust. The animatronic Pirates in Disneyland are my favorites though... especially the ones who are locked up in jail and trying to get the keys to their cell from a dog who's got the ring in his mouth. I have even been to a real life "Pirate Party" thrown by a guy who really does try to live (I'm being totally serious) a pirate's life. This was years ago in Portland, Oregon. Fun party.

Overall though, the whole Pirate thing escapes me.

So why a post about "Talk Like a Pirate Day" then? Because of my brother. He is the director of a school in Tokyo, Japan that teaches kids how to speak English... (he's actually much more than that, and I would love to direct everyone to his blog and his projects, but he doesn't know about this and I want to keep it that way). He's always looking for fun ways to get the kids singing and moving around while he teaches. Today on his blog he posted this cool video as part of a guide for other teachers looking to incorporate "Talk Like a Pirate Day" into THEIR classrooms... once you get past the very beginning it's pretty cool!

link

Little crush on one of the pirates in the vid... can you guess which one?

Arrgh.

5 comments:

Joe Jubinville said...

I deeply suspect it's more fun to be a pirate than see one.

Paul said...

It had to be the one with the hat, I guess.

Do I win anything if I'm correct?

Anonymous said...

I'm going with the guy in all black playing the guitar... but then again maybe that's because *I* want him.

CondoBlogger said...

Wow... Paul and Dean got it totally right!

Funny thing... I was thinking about the Pirate Party I went to in Portland all those years ago, and then I went to this band's site and guess where they are all from? PDX! I wonder if I partied at their house?

Jef said...

My guess would be the one with the peg leg.