Monday, April 23, 2007

57 Channels (And Nuthin' On)



Remember that Bruce Springsteen song? Back when The Boss wrote that, 57 channels was A LOT! It seems almost quaint now. By the way, "Back when," was only 1992. Nowadays if you have under 100 channels you're pretty much a looser. Here in This New Condo, I only get 70 I think. I haven't yet gone "digital" so I don't get any of those niche networks and I don't pay for any "Premium Channels." Maybe someday if I get a big fancy TV I MAY spring for some of the extras, but right now basic is working pretty good for me.

I mention all this because this is TV TURNOFF WEEK and I am participating. Well, as much as one who actually MAKES Television CAN participate. While I'm at work I really don't have any choice but to watch, but at home... I'm not going to. It's just a week, Today through the 29th. Frankly thanks to a lot of YOU out there, I spend a lot more time away from the tube these days anyway. I have a long list of blogs that I try to read every day, not to mention a few podcasts that I enjoy. When those cease to entertain me I actually have a BOOK to read!

Ironically I had forgotten that it WAS TV Turnoff Week till I saw an ad ON TELEVISION! Adbusters has a couple ads they've been trying to get on TV... this one is my favorite:



Creepy isn't it? Ever catch yourself looking like that in front of the box? I hope you give it a shot... even for just 1 day. You'll notice so many things... mostly how quiet your house is when the telly is switched off.

In the spirit of the day, I'm also taking down my advertisements. We'll see if they return next week.

2 comments:

mist1 said...

I'm hoping to "borrow" my new neighbor's cable. I don't watch TV that much, they shouldn't mind at all. Maybe I can "borrow" the internet too. Mine still hasn't been turned on.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on! My first full week of Direct TV...I just can't this year :(
Perhaps next year :)